Saturday, January 7, 2012

Daniel's Garden


We took advantage of an unseasonably warm January day to get out and run (6.6 miles) but that wasn't enough.  I can't stand to stay inside on days like today, especially when I know we could be frozen over in less than a week, so after taking all of the Christmas ornaments off of the tree, we went outside to fix the "forgotten-dog" angst that Connor took out on my little garden.  Or should I say Daniel's garden.  

Pre deer netting last fall...
 
I planted it in December of 2010 when I was nearly 5 months pregnant and quickly learned two things: 1 - bending over and kneeling for hours, hurts when pregnant and 2 - we needed deer netting to protect anything we wanted to grow from Connor.  And that was when he was showered with attention as an only child. 

Spring flower bounty for my shower
In the spring, the garden's flowers made an appearance at my baby shower in April.  And then in late May, when I was past my due date and wanting to do as many squats as possible to coax out a stubborn baby, it became my weeding project...and possibly what set off my contractions (I went into labor that night). 

Hopefully with the deer netting back in place and a new layer of mulch, the bulbs (or at least some of them) will make a re-appearance when Daniel might be old enough to stop and smell the flowers.
 
Daniel and Connor in front of the garden.



No comments: