Wednesday, April 25, 2012

College-bound

I was able to accomplish a life-long goal today and set up a 529 fund for Daniel that by the time he is 18 and ready to go to college, will fully fund his tuition and room and board.  Thank you Papi (and thank you Jesus).  I've been working with a financial planner to invest some money that Papi had left to us and all I knew was that I wanted to pay off my credit card and pay for Daniel's college education.  I knew a bit about the Virginia college fund (because he WILL go to a Virginia school) but found out that it only covers tuition and not room and board (and other expenses) and while I have dreams of his athletic and/or intellectual skills getting him a full ride somewhere, I want to make sure he's covered if that somehow isn't the case.  The other nice thing about this fund is that if Daniel turns out to be a prodigy or follows in daddy's footsteps and goes to a military academy (mommy prefers Annapolis, my little love bug), he'll be able to use this money for a graduate degree or we can transfer it to a sibling or another family member.  But until then, I'll just enjoy my little snuggly monkey baby while he can't get enough of his mommy.

Already studying hard...on mommy's blackberry.

1 comment:

Susann said...

Proud of YOU jules-- what a great thing you and your Dad have done for Baby D.